Saturday 13 August 2011

Saturday night in for me and out for Joe

Joe has gone on a real ale Yorkshire pub crawl today with Work Mike and Will, leaving me on my own at home.  I'm hoping he will do a post on it later, but in case he doesn't, they have taken the train to Skipton, and are stopping at every town on the line from Skipton to Leeds to sample some local ales.  Personally, I think it is an elaborate excuse for a piss up, but even that is no bad thing.

Anyway, I have spent the day doing some of my favourite things - food shopping and cleaning (ha)!  But I have made myself some pretty good treats as well.

Lunch was peppers stuffed with cherry tomatoes and topped with bacon which was lovely on a sunny afternoon! It was based on a Simon Hopkinson recipe but slightly adapted as I wanted to go more down the Spanish route.
Roasted peppers stuffed with cherry tomatoes and topped with bacon and basil.  I also roasted a red chilli for 40 minutes which was lovely and sweet with the peppers.

Then tonight I have done breaded turkey and corn on the cob.  I've never done this before, as it's usually Joe's territory, but it turned out really well!  I've also been really nice and done some for Joe when he rolls home drunk later (lucky boy!).  Brief recipe below.
Breaded turkey with corn on the cob and salad (large glass of rose hidden from view).

Breaded Turkey

turkey escalopes, battered to about 1cm thick
fresh basil
teaspoon chilli powder
flour
1 egg
breadcrumbs (japanese if you have them, and if not normal dried breadcrumbs)
oil and butter for frying

Heat the oven to approx 180 degrees.

1.  Batter the turkey with a rolling pin to make it about 1cm flat and even
2.  Mix flour, chopped fresh basil and chilli powder in a bowl with some seasoning.  As always, use the chilli and basil in proportions you like.  You could also swap it for grated parmesan if you fancied.
3.  Beat the egg in a separate bowl, and place the breadcrumbs in a third.
4.  Coat the turkey in the flour mix, then the egg and then the breadcrumbs.
5.  Heat the oil with some butter in a large frying pan.  The butter is not necessary but it does taste better and will turn the breadcrumbs nice and golden.
6.  Fry the turkey on each side for 3-4 minutes.  It should be cooked through, but to make sure, and to crisp up the coating, place in the oven for a further 3-4 minutes.

No comments: