Ingredients to make around 8 Scotch Eggs;
- 8 Quail Eggs
- 6 decent quality sausages with a good flavour - Tolouse work well
- Panko (Japanese) bread crumbs - Definitely the best for colour and crunch
- An egg for sticking the bread crumbs to the sausage meat
- A big bottle of vegetable oil
- Boil the eggs for 2 mins, plunge into cold water to keep the yolk soft and peel
- Skin the sausages in a bowl and season well with salt and pepper
- Wrap the sausage meat around the eggs - around half a centimeter is about right
- Crack the egg in a bowl and pour the bread crumbs into another.
- In turn lightly cover the sausage covered quail egg in the egg wash then roll in the bread crumbs
- When all the eggs have all been done put them in the freezer for 30 mins or so (this is an important stage as the firm eggs that come out of the freezer will allow you to put a second bread crumb cover on for extra crunch)
- Give them another egg wash and breadcrumb cover, and they are then ready for deep frying (we us a large pan but obviously a deep fat fryer is a little better!)
- To test the heat of the oil put a little sausage meat in and when it sizzles you are ready to go!
- Deep fry the bread crumb and sausage meat covered quail eggs for around 4.5 minutes and they should all be done and look like this;
|The finished Scotch Eggs|