Sunday 5 February 2012

Sunday Roast Chicken and Risotto

I sometimes think I'll make a terrible wife as I'm really not one for the traditional Sunday roast.  There's nothing wrong with it, I'm just not a huge fan of roast beef, roast lamb, all the trimmings....it doesn't seem very exciting. 

I will make an exception for roast chicken though - I think a properly cooked roast chicken is an absolute delight - juicy, moist, full or flavour.  It also suits a huge range of accompaniments - no soggy carrots and flaccid roast potatoes for me! 

This weekend my roast chicken was done with a paprika, oregano and olive oil marinade, pea and bacon risotto and broccoli.  I cook a chicken for around an hour and a half and rest it for at least 20 minutes - the result is really tender and juicy meat packed with flavour.  As its bloody freezing outside, it seemed only right that it was accompanied by a rich and creamy risotto.  The broccoli was only really there for the 5-a-day thing but you know, no one's perfect.

Roast chicken
Pea and bacon risotto
And a super juicy chicken leg

No comments: